Health Benefits of Grapefruit
- Acidity: Although grapefruit has a sub-acid taste, its juice actually has an alkaline reaction after digestion. This has a profound effect in the treatment of acidity in the digestive system that causes a host of other health problems.
- Atherosclerosis: Pectin in this fruit has been found to be effective in reducing the accumulation of arterial deposits, and the vitamin C helps to strengthen and maintain the elasticity of arteries.
- Breast cancer: In another study, the bioflavonoids found in grapefruit was discovered to even halt cancer cells from spreading in breast cancer patients, by ridding the body of excess estrogen.
- Common cold: A common cold is usually your body telling you that you are overworked. A regular drink of grapefruit during a stressful period gives your immune system the boost needed to prevent it coming on.
- Cholesterol: A certain compound found in grapefruit helps reduce the excessive production of cholesterol from the liver.
- Diabetes: A diabetic can safely eat a grapefruit. In fact, more consumption of this fruit will help reduce the starches and sweets in the system. If you have a tendency towards diabetes, consume more grapefruit juice to prevent it.
- Digestive disorder: This juice helps to promote digestion by increasing the flow of gastric juices. Eat the fruit together with its rind for its extra fiber that aids bowel movements.
- Fatigue: At the end of a long and tiring day, drink a glass of grapefruit juice with lemon juice in equal parts with a little honey, to dispel all fatigue and tiredness.
- Fever: Besides drinking plenty of fluids, also drink grapefruit juice to reduce fever.
- Insomnia: A drink of grapefruit juice before bedtime, helps to promote sleep and alleviates insomnia.
- Pregnant woman: The bioflavonoids and vitamin C help to reduce water retention and swelling of the legs during pregnancy.
- Sore throat: Drinking a freshly-squeezed grapefruit juice helps relieve sore throats and soothes coughs.
- Stomach and pancreatic cancer: The anti-cancer agents in grapefruit (especially in the rinds) are particularly protective against these cancers in the digestive system.
- Weight-loss: This fruit has a fat-burning enzyme and can help to absorb and reduce the starch and sugar in the body. It is widely consumed by people who are trying to lose weight. If you don’t fall under the category of people mentioned below (look at “Caution” colum), then take a glass of grapefruit juice twice a day and eat normally.