Due to its creamy texture, cherimoya is also known as custard apple. It’s often eaten with a spoon and served chilled like custard. Cherimoya has a sweet taste similar to other tropical fruits, such as banana and pineapple.
Rich in fibre, vitamins, and minerals, this unique fruit may boost immunity, fight inflammation, and promote eye and heart health.
Health Benefits of Custard Apple
- Custard apple is a storehouse of Vitamin C, which is an anti-oxidant and helps in neutralizing free radicals.
- Vitamin A present in the fruit is good for hair, eyes and healthy skin.
- Custard apple contains magnesium, which plays vital role in relaxing muscles and protecting heart against diseases.
- Potassium and Vitamin B6 are also present in custard apple.
- Copper is yet another useful ingredient of custard apple.
- It is a rich source of dietary fiber, which helps in digestion.
- As it contains low fat levels, it is good for maintaining optimum health.
- The paste of the flesh of the fruit can be used for local application on ulcers, abscesses and boils.
- The fruit, in its unripe form, can be dried, crushed and used for treating diarrhea and dysentery.
- Custard apple serves as an expectorant, stimulant, coolant and haematinic and is even useful in treating anemia.
- The seeds of the fruit have insecticidal and abortifacient properties.